Saturday, January 17, 2009

Black Bean Tostados & Spanish Rice

The tostado recipe is from Amy with The Finer Things in Life




4 inch corn tortillas
2 tbs oil
shredded cheese
canned black beans (drained/rinsed)
sour cream
salsa/pico de gallo 

Pre heat oven to 400
Add oil to skillet and brown the tortillas for 30 seconds each side.
Place on cookie sheet.
Add beans and cheese.
Bake for 8-10 minutes.
Top with sour cream and salsa/pico....or both!!


Spanish Rice
(from my momma)

2 cups long grain rice (white or brown)
2 cups chicken broth (you know my and my bouillon cubes)
2 tbs butter
1/3 cup onion (minced)
2 cloves garlic
2 tbs ketchup
1 tbs cumin (we love our cumin)

In pot saute onion and garlic, add raw rice and brown.  Add broth, ketchup, and cumin.
Cover and cook for 30 minutes
 (or whatever length of time the back of the rice box says to cook it)

It is that easy!!!!

PS... I browned a couple of extra tortillas and while they were hot I added cinnamon and sugar.

My kids now think I am a hero!!